Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Weird Robot Baby

Someone at work this morning brought up the subject of dreams. She said that she had a “weird” dream last night, which turned out to be a nightmare of sorts that involved an aspect of her job and her supervisor. The adjective “weird” threw me a little, as a “weird” dream for me is something a little different than anxiety about my job translated into dream form.


For instance, one of my own dreams last night concerned a married couple that I know, who for some reason were living in my old high school. (?) The baby (which is not, in real life, due until the autumn) had already been born, and I was visiting them. After I saw the baby (who had no teeth and couldn’t walk but was already speaking in complete sentences like Stewie on The Family Guy), I realized that (gasp!) he was a robot child. I didn’t see any wires or anything, but the kid knew that I knew. At first, I tried to hide this fact from my friends, but as the kid got weirder (and after I discovered his owner’s manual and remote control in a box shoved in a corner of the gym), I tried to warn my friends about him. Understandably, they got mad and told me to leave. As I walked out of my old freshman English classroom, I turned around. My friends’ backs were to me, but the robot kid peeked over one of their shoulders and smiled toothlessly and evilly. I woke up.

I’m sure there are all sorts of psychobabble explanations that could decipher that dream, but I choose to think that I have a tiny, tiny file clerk inside my brain who runs around at night, desperately trying to organize my head files before I wake up. My dreams are just different files getting pulled from one place and re-filed in another. If I tried to interpret every one of the dreams I have, there’d be no room for anything else in my life. (Especially the dream about the room with thousands of pictures of oranges taped to the walls, or the one where I was sitting on a walrus in some kind of circus act … I had a spangly outfit on in that one, with a big headdress. Awesome.)

But … the robot baby example is a completely normal specimen of dream for me. Am I wacko? I was always under the impression that most people’s dreams were like mine – a jumble of things and places and people that are in their heads and get let out of their cages to dance around together while they’re sleeping. My co-worker’s explanation of her own “weird” dream makes me re-think that conclusion!

Does anyone else have the wacky dreams regularly? By this, I mean – without eating spicy foods or being sleep-deprived or taking loopy drugs, do any of you dream vividly and frequently? Outside of my family, I’ve never really asked anyone about this, and I wonder. I don’t often have lingering visual memories of my dreams, but it’s pretty common for a feeling or phrase someone said in it to stay with me until I next go to sleep, or sometimes through several days. I guess I thought that was how it worked for everybody.
Drop me a comment and tell me, do you dream of tiny purple doughnuts and tap-dancing tigers? Of everyday places, people, and things? Or do you simply never remember your dreams?



5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I have always had really, really vivid dreams. One time in our dorm room I dreamt I was reading a huge magazine and couldn't turn the pages -- and my giant Sinead O'Connor poster had fallen on me, ha ha!

I also regularly dream crazy things now. And when I am pregnant, my dreams are INSANE. I dreamt that my OB was sharing a bed with me and my husband. I've also dreamt I couldn't find the baby. Or that I have slept with a coworker. RANDOM.

Jamie Losie said...

You're not alone: I have dreams like yours and words, thoughts, and phrases that stay with me until I am well asleep. I have two distinct problems with the "entertaining" dreams (I stopped calling them weird a long time ago): it takes a concerted effort to remember them and they generally are interrupted by the alarm clock. How I hate you, alarm clock!

Do you begin to anticipate the next event in your dream or twist your dreams so you know exactly what will happen next? If so, you too know what The Matrix is... I love the dreams where I fly or where I cannot predict the next word or action. Those are always fun.

erinlis said...

Jacqueline, holy crap - I completely remember the dream and the poster falling on you! My dreams seldom involve an actual physical occurrence like that, but I do wake up sometimes completely convinced that whatever happened in the dream happened in reality. Strange.

Jamie, I've never been able to get a hold on lucid dreaming, where I can actually direct the events, though I think that would be amazing. And I've never dreamed that I'm flying. Not once. Falling, yes. Flying? Nope.

bellerose said...

Oh man, one time I had a dream about someone going to a party without me and I woke up convinced and super mad they left me and I wouldn't talk to them for like half the day until I realized it was a dream, haha, try explaing that...soooo... you're mad at me for a dream you had... riiiggght..

Anyways, I forever have weird dreams, I thought they were normal also.. so it seems you are not alone my friend :)

Anonymous said...

I have dreams where I'm walking up stairs. But I never come to the top. I just keep walking up and up. It's really annoying.

I'd rather dream about robot babies.